Sunday 20 September 2015

House-hunting 1.1

So as I was telling you about, I decided to start and look for a place to stay only after having arrived in Paris. I fixed some appointments to visit the different locations I found on the internet and tried to fit as many as possible in my empty schedule.

Personally, as I heard that it was crazy difficult to find an appartment here, I didn't use any particular filter for my first selection, as anywhere near nice and comfortable with a reasonable rent would have done. Having my friend Masha living in the 16e arr (short for arrondissement: the quarters in which Paris is diveded into), though, and wanting to find a job in the Luxury Hospitality, I really started hoping I could get a room in a nice appartment in the area around the Arc the Triomphe.

Landing a visit to an appartment doesn't mean a thing, unfortunately. As the demand for a place to live in Paris is huge, you might fall in love with a "coloc" (short for colocation: appartment), but it is very likely that there's another 20 people that saw the place before you and probably are just as much interested. Ever heard of the survival of the fittest? Only the most interesting, better presented, long-stay house-hunter will get a yes.

Apéro Coloc
One nice event, that was organized by the website that I told you about in my previous post, was the Apéro Coloc, a sort of happy hour studied to get together people that are looking for a coloc and people that are offering one. Useless to say that there were way too many people looking for a room than there were who had a spare one.
But anyways, I enjoyed the night as, obviously, I got to meet a lot of people who live in Paris, which is always nice, and had tons of opportunities to chat in French, which is ultimately my agenda.
Can I add another thing that is totally useless to say, of course I didn't find any room that would suit me that night.

Given the fact that house-hunting in Paris resembles a proper contest, I shouldn't be too surprised that little Val who's just got to France isn't having much luck in finding an appartment in the first five days of her stay. Whatever, I think I'll just put some pressure on the lady whose coloc I saw on Monday, see if that does me any good.

Dunque, come vi dicevo, ho deciso di cominciare a cercare una casa una volta arrivata a Parigi. Ho fissato alcuni appuntamenti per visitare le varie location che ho trovato su internet cercando di incastrarne il più possibile nella mia agenda vuota.

Personalmente, dato che mi avevano preparato all'impresa che sarebbe stata trovare una casa da queste parti, in principio non ho applicato nessun filtro alla mia selezione: qualiasi cosa anche minimamente carina, confortevole e con un affitto ragionevole mi sarebbe andato alla grande. Con il fatto però che la mia amica Masha si è appena trasferita nel 16 arr (abbreviazione di arrondissement: i quartieri in cui è suddivisa Parigi) e che idealmente, vorrei trovare lavoro in un hotel lusso in quella zona, ho cominciato a sperare davvero con tutte le mie forze di riuscire a prendere una camera in un appartamento "vicino" all'Arco di Trionfo.

Purtroppo però, andare a visitare un appartamento non dà alcuna garanzia, purtroppo. Dato che la domanda è altissima, è molto probabile che anche se ci si innamora a prima vista di una coloc (abbreviazione di colocation: appartamento) ci siano almeno 20 persone che sono altrettanto interessate ma che ti hanno battuto sul tempo! Avete presente la selezione naturale? Solamente i più interessanti, meglio presentati e con un soggiorno minimo lunghissimo verranno accettati come coinquilini!!

Apéro Coloc
Un evento carino organizzato dal sito di cui vi avevo già parlato è stato l'Apéro Coloc, a cui sono andata mercoledì e che ha come scopo quello di mettere in contatto chi cerca una coloc, appunto e chi ne offre una. Inutile dire che c'era molta più gente che cercava una casa di quanti invece ne avessero una libera.
In ogni caso ho passato una piacevole serata dato che comunque ho incontrato un sacco di persone che vivono a Parigi, che fa sempre comodo, e ho avuto moltissime occasioni di parlare in francese, che come vi ho detto è uno degli scopi ultimi del mio soggiorno.
Aggiungerò un'altra cosa inutile: ovviamente, non ho trovato mezza camera in cui trasferirmi quella sera.

Perciò, visto che cercare casa a Parigi sembra una vera e propria gara, non sono troppo sorpresa né scoraggiata di non essere ancora riuscita a trovare nulla nei miei primi cinque, sei giorni in Francia. Oh bè, comincerò a fare un po' di pressione alla signora dell'appartamento che ho visto Lunedì. Vediamo come va.

No comments:

Post a Comment